Saturday, October 4, 2014

ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY MODULES




The UDL guideline for this site is 5, Providing options for expression and communication. 

Appropriate guidelines like  ASNAT and SETT  can be used to assess a student for the purpose of using AT. These guidelines direct the educator through the process. Although I would be part of a team of individuals while assessing, it is necessary for me to understand the whole process in order to be an advocate for my student.

In my classroom, there is a non-verbal student who uses assistive technology for speech. He uses the Ipad with a text to speech program.  After reading and listening to this module it is my opinion that the IEP team should re-assess him. Although much time is spent teaching and assisting him, he appears to be frustrated.

Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) is an effective computer program that can be used for individuals who cannot use a keyboard.  The case study on Kevin Leonard was eye opening for me as he is able to effectively have a career with his use of the ASR program Dragon naturally speaking Some of my students struggle with processing information then writing. The Dragon Software would be a great resource in my room.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to find out more about your student who uses text to speech on the iPad. Which app does he use? Why do you think he is frustrated? Have you seen it work better with other students?

    ReplyDelete